Tuesday 13 July 2010

The Real American Experience


Before I left for Haines City, my dad, very clearly, gave me a list of things I wasn't to do: no cheesecake, no Mountain Dew and definitely, under any circumstances, no Cherry Pocket.



Well, as you can imagine, I had three new aims for my holiday. I wanted to eat cheesecake until I felt sick. I was going to keep a bottle of Mountain Dew in my hands constantly. And, most importantly, I was going to find my way to Cherry Pocket if I had to walk there myself, map in hand.



Luckily for me, my grandparents paid as much attention to my dad's instructions as I did, which is why after helping out with some jobs (Mountain Dew in hand, of course) I found myself in the back of a truck, sat next to a fire extinguisher, travelling the back roads of Central Florida.



We were on our way to Cherry Pocket, a 'real' American restaurant - I use this term loosely. It is well off the beaten, and worn, track and apart from myself, I couldn't spot a single tourist. The seafood shack, as it is advertised, is on the edge of Lake Pierce, complete with outhouse and a fair few alligators!

I
 left feeling like I had eaten a horse (but a very tasty one) and sporting my very own Cherry Pocket shirt. It was, due to my Nana's demands, the least crude of the selection.


Tomorrow is another day and for me it brings the long awaited Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios.



Until then
Kelly x

No comments:

Post a Comment